About Palm Oil

What Is  Palm Oil?

Worldwide production for palm oil has increased for five decades and can be found on half the shelves in a supermarket, from chocolates and crisps to shampoo and lipsticks. So, what is it?

Palm oil is an edible vegetable oil that comes from the fruit of oil palm trees. It produces two types of oil, crude palm oil and palm kernel oil. The former originates from squeezing the fleshy palm fruit whilst the latter comes from crushing the kernel or the stone in the middle of the fruit.

The palm oil tree was native to Africa but was brought to Southeast Asia over 100 years ago as an ornamental tree crop. This has resulted in Indonesia and Malaysia now making up over 85% of global palm oil supply, with the other 42 countries making up the 15%.


What is Palm Oil

Find us on Twitter or YouTube