Privacy statement for thecspo.org
Personal identification information
We may collect personal identification information from Users in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, when Users visit our site, subscribe to the email newsletter, fill out a form, and in connection with other activities, services, features or resources we make available on our Site. Users may be asked for, as appropriate, name, email address, mailing address. We will collect personal identification information from Users only if they voluntarily submit such information to us. Users can always refuse to supply personally identification information, except that it may prevent them from engaging in certain Site related activities.
Non-personal identification information
We may collect non-personal identification information about Users whenever they interact with our Site. Non-personal identification information may include the browser name, the type of computer and technical information about Users means of connection to our Site, such as the operating system and the Internet service providers utilized and other similar information.
Web browser cookies
How we use collected information
thecspo.org may collect and use Users personal information for the following purposes:
- To improve our Site: We may use feedback you provide to improve our products and services.
- To send periodic emails: If User decides to opt-in to our mailing list, they will receive emails that may include company news, updates, related product or service information, etc. If at any time the User would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, we include detailed unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each email.
How we protect your information
We adopt appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal information, username, password, transaction information and data stored on our Site.
Sharing your personal information
We do not sell, trade, share, or rent Users personal identification information to others. We may share generic aggregated demographic information not linked to any personal identification information regarding visitors and users with our business partners and advertisers for the purposes outlined above.
Third party websites
Users may find advertising or other content on our Site that link to the sites and services of our partners, suppliers, advertisers, sponsors, licensors and other third parties. We do not control the content or links that appear on these sites and are not responsible for the practices employed by websites linked to or from our Site. In addition, these sites or services, including their content and links, may be constantly changing. These sites and services may have their own privacy policies and customer service policies. Browsing and interaction on any other website, including websites which have a link to our Site, is subject to that website’s own terms and policies.
Your acceptance of these terms
By using this Site, you signify your acceptance of this policy. If you do not agree to this policy, please do not use our Site. Your continued use of the Site following the posting of changes to this policy will be deemed your acceptance of those changes.
info (at) thecspo.org
‘Personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’). An identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.
Categories of Data Obtained Directly from You
thecspo.org obtains personal data from you including your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, and payment card information. We collect this information when you:
- Register for a thecspo.org email newsletter.
- Contact us for information or ask a question via email.
- Post, upload, or otherwise submit a comment, story tip, commentary, photo, or other content
- Participate in a reader survey
Information Obtained Automatically Through Technology
Depending on which Services you use and how you access them, the information collected automatically through technology, such as access logs, cookies, pixels and other tracking technologies, may include:
- Internet Protocol Address (IP address)
- The domain name of your Internet Service Provider
- The website, application, platform or service you visited before and after visiting our Services.
- Information about your computer or mobile device, and their browser, operating system, settings and software.
- Unique device identifiers on your mobile device, including as applicable the Apple, Facebook, or Google advertising identifiers.
- Your approximate geographic location (derived from requested header information, such as your IP address) and/or more precise location information if you have given thecspo.org consent to receive this information for a thecspo.org application on your mobile device.
- The dates, times, duration and frequency of your interactions with our Services, search terms, the media files you download, interact with or share, favorites you select, and your navigation path through our Services.
- Information about your interactions with our email messages.
- Any errors you encountered during your use of the Services.
Information Not Obtained Directly From You
Purposes for Processing of Personal Data
thecspo.org processes your data in order to:
- Manage, administer, promote, analyze and improve the Services and our communications, including measuring and analyzing user traffic and usage patterns.
- Respond to your questions or messages and fulfill your requests for services.
- Customize the sponsorship messages you see across our Services.
- Publish, broadcast or otherwise use User Materials.
- Process applications for jobs, internships, and correspondent/contributor positions at thecspo.org.
- Recognize you as a returning user as you access our Services using different computers, devices and browsers and to save and “remember” your registration information, settings and preferences for later visits.
- Send you email newsletters and marketing, fundraising, membership and other communications from thecspo.org.
- To understand whether and when you read our email messages and click on links in those messages.
- Analyze personal preferences or interests to provide personalized content and messages from thecspo.org and to control the sequence and frequency of those messages.
- Generate aggregate or other information that does not directly identify you as an individual or the devices you use to access our Services, and use and share that information for thecspo.org’s purposes.
- We also may use the information collected from you in other ways, and for other purposes, that are described to you at the point of collection or for which we otherwise have obtained your consent.
Sharing Your Personal Data
thecspo.org may share your personal data with the following categories of recipients:
- thecspo.org’s authorized third-party applications to provide certain Services to you on the third-party applications.
- thecspo.org’s analytics partners such as Google Universal Analytics, Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting, DoubleClick for Publishers and others.
- With public authorities when required by law, to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, and other law enforcement measures, and to comply with legal or regulatory obligations.
- With persons we contact on your behalf when you choose to email, text, or otherwise share a story or other content through the Services.
- With social networking services, if you choose to share stories or other content with your friends and followers on the social networking service.
- With other parties if the information is anonymous and aggregate.
- With other parties if we have disclosed such sharing to you at the time of collection of the information or if we otherwise have your consent.
Lawful Basis for the Processing of Personal Data
thecspo.org relies on legitimate interest to process data for the following purposes:
- Data analytics
- Managing user accounts
- Operating, modifying and improving the Services
- Identifying usage trends
- Customizing content and user experience
- Web hosting
- Direct marketing
- Fraud prevention
- Network and information systems security
- To determine the effectiveness of promotional campaigns
- To serve promotional and sponsorship messages based on user behavior and preferences.
- Responding to user questions and requests for information
Consent: We process personal data based on your consent to send personalized messages from thecspo.org, to collect precise location information and to send promotional emails. If you do not consent to the processing, you can unsubscribing from emails using the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails and following the process laid out by Google.
- To prevent your data from being used by Google Analytics, click here for the Google Universal Analytics opt-out browser add-on. To learn more about how Google uses data, visit www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
Your personal data is retained no longer than is reasonably necessary to perform the processing described in this Notice and in case of any legal claims or complaints, or as required by law.
Automated Decision Making and Analysis
thecspo.org and its data analytics vendors analyze user interactions with the Services to deliver personalized content to users and to serve personalized sponsorship messages. This includes tracking user preferences with respect to websites visited and search terms in order to derive a user’s interests and preferences. The consequences of such processing for the data subject are that the data subject receives content that may be of interest to him or her, as well as email, online and in-app messages from thecspo.org that are geared towards the interests and preferences of the data subject.
You must be at least 18 years of age to submit any User Materials or Personal Data on or through the Services.
If thecspo.org plans to use personal data for a new purpose, it will update this Notice and communicate the changes to individuals before starting any new processing.